Since I signed up for Boxycharm a few months ago I’ve been looking for more subscription boxes to check out, specifically within South Africa… As luck would have it I stumbled across Magic & Mischief on Instagram. Unlike Boxycharm and Ipsy, Magic And Mischief is a monthly book box, similar to Owl Crate and Lit Joy Crate. It is curated by the founder, Fatima Zahra, and contains 5-6 items including a book. The items included ranges from tshirts, soaps, notebooks, candles, stationery, pillow cases, fan art and various other bookish merch. They kindly sent me the June box to review. The theme for the June box was Fury Born From The Ashes. The box itself is big and I’m actually using it to store some makeup. It could also be reused to store stationary, jewelry or just some random tid bits.
The June box contained 7 awesome items, all of which were printed on this info card which by the way is stunning!
1. Throne Of Glass Inspired Pillowcase I really love the design and quote on the pillowcase. It looks beautiful on all white bedding and really stands out. A great addition to the box.
2. As Travar’s Notebook I have a slight obsession with notebooks and stationery. I have so many notebooks but I didn’t mind getting another one in the box. I loathe notebooks with date and weather columns on the top of the pages so I’m glad this one doesn’t have that. These are my favorite kind of pages. Clean and well spaced lines. I’m a bit OCD about my notebooks if you couldn’t already tell.
3. Pencils Who doesn’t love stationery? One can never have enough in my opinion. What I love about these is the fact that they’re really, really good quality. Think HB or Staedtler. A really good addition to the box.
4. Elias Inspired Soap by Pink Cosmetics I’m sure you guys are family with Pink Cosmetics here on my blog. Her products are amazing. I was pleasantly surprised to find this item in the box. The card states that this soap needs to mature and will only be ready for use the 2nd of August. I’ve put it on top of my shelf to mature and I cannot wait to use it soon.What I can say though is it smells amazing!
5. PuzzleI cannot remember the last time I built a puzzle. A really fun addition to the box.
6. An Ember In The Ashes Coffee I don’t drink coffee but my mom and sister sure enjoyed this! A cup of tea – or in other people’s case, coffee – and a good book is always a great idea.
7. Furyborn by Claire Legrand hardback with a bookmark and handwritten letter from the author I really love that there was a handwritten note from the author included, even though it isn’t pictured here. I’ve started reading this book and it took me a while to get into the storyline but so far I’m enjoying it. Let me know if you guys want me to do a separate review on the book once I’ve finished it.
And that’s the complete June box. The standard boxes retail for R550 and the mega boxes retails for R850. The above box was R550 and think it’s totally worth it considering how expensive newly released books are. They’re almost always around R250-R290, so considering everything you are getting in this box it is really is worth it, especially if you’re a book-merch-loving-bookworm.
The Magical Mischief box is a bit different to normal subscription boxes in the sense that you don’t sign up for an on going subscription. Rather, you get an email notification each month as soon as that particular month’s box is loaded to their website. You then have the freedom to decide if you want to purchase the box or not, or if you want to purchase the merch only box or the mega box. You do have to act quick though as there are a limited amount of boxes available and they tend to sell out rather quickly, as Magical Mischief ships worldwide too.
The August box is still available on their website and the theme is Rebel Hearts
What will this box contain?
This box will contain between 5-6 gorgeously curated items by some super talented artist based on the fandoms above! Even if you aren’t familiar with the fandoms above, we’ve chosen items everyone can enjoy!
One of the items in the box will be a tshirt. How exciting! The standard box retails for R550 and the merch only box retails for R399. You can purchase either of the boxes here.
Like a previously mentioned, I adore this book box and I love that it is curated in South Africa. I think the founder did a superb job! It will make such a great gift and if you’re a parent, I think this box would be great for your teens. I cannot wait to see what Magical Mischief has in store for the future.
Disclaimer: This box was sent to me in exchange for a review. This is not a sponsored post. All opinions are my own.